Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Thelma's Best Pancakes

3 c. flour
3 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 Tbls. sugar
3 c. buttermilk, (or regular milk plus 3 Tbls. vinegar)
2 eggs, slightly beaten
3 Tbls. vegetable oil, bacon grease, or butter melted

Mix together quickly just to combine. DON'T OVER MIX. It will make them tough. The amount of milk needed will vary due to humidity, flour dryness, etc. Adjust milk after mixing. Thinner pancakes cook faster and to the center. Thicker pancakes must be cooked slower (on a lower heat) for a longer time. Bake in a lightly greased, thick bottomed, frying pan on MEDIUM temperature until the bubble in the center of the pancake pops. Then turn. DON'T smash with the turner. bake until cooked through. Serve with butter and syrup, any flavor of jam and cream (or evaporated milk) or applesauce with cinnamon or for supper with tuna gravy. Many fresh or frozen fruits such as strawberries, raspberries, or peaches can be mixed with sugar to taste and served over pancakes with whipped cream-like shortcake.
"I started making pancakes for my family on Saturday mornings when I was 5 years old. My mother was worried my father insistent. (My mother had not been taught to cook while she was growing up and he didn't want that for me.) I have cooking ever since."
-Thelma guymon

My mother in law is an amazing cook. Everything in the kitchen she touches turns to gold! I love the creative toppings she uses for pancakes.

We LOVE these pancakes. I could eat pancakes everyday of my life!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin