Monday, April 21, 2008

Marshmallow Fondant

This recipe made enough to cover 3 9" round cakes plus extra for molding shapes!

16 oz. mini-marshmallows

2-5 Tbls. water

2 lbs. powdered sugar

1/2-1 cup crisco (shortening)



Pre-bake the cake, let cool to room temp. Frost cake with favorite frosting. Let sit.
Melt marshmallows and 2 Tbls. of water in microwave (or dbl. boiler). Put the bowl in the microwave for 30 seconds, open microwave and stir, back in microwave for 30 seconds more, open microwave and stir again, and continue doing this until melted. It usually takes about
2 1/2 minutes total.
I added the melted marshmallow mixture to my kitchen aid. (if you want to add coloring to this mixture, now is the time).Then add 3/4 powdered sugar mixture, and 1/2 cup crisco. Mix on low. Add the rest of the powdered sugar. I had to keep adding crisco a tsp. at a time and/or water a tsp. at a time until I got the desired consistency. I took the mixture out of the kitchen aid and kneaded by hand until I got the right texture to work with (usually this step takes about 8 min, of kneading by hand...it's a good work out!). I tested it out by adding a glob between wax paper and rolling with a rolling pin. If I liked the texture I didn't add anything. if I didn't like the texture I added either water or crisco. You want the texture to be soft and workable. If it starts to crack or tare it is too dry. Roll out between wax paper, or roll out on counter top with cornstarch (so it doesn't stick). Place on cake. Trip excess fondant. Tuck fondant under cake. Roll fondant into desired shapes.

When I heard homemade fondant I was scared! But actually doing it in my kitchen aid, it was simple. I could even use the word...FUN! My kids had fun rolling the pieces into shapes. Just have fun with it!

If these Instructions aren't good enough, please follow the directions from this website
http://whatscookingamerica.net/PegW/Fondant.htm

*It is best to the it sit dbl. wrapped overnight, but it's fine if you use it right away

*Make sure if the fondant is sitting out, that it is covered with plastic wrap.

*This type of fondant will hold well in the refrigerator for weeks.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin