Thursday, May 22, 2008

Basic Bagels

1 c. scalded milk
1 T. dried yeast
1 tsp. salt
4 c. flour
1/4 c. melted butter/margarine
1 T. sugar
1 egg

Scald milk; when cooled to luke warm dissolve yeast. Add melted butter, sugar and salt. Blend egg and sifted flour. Knead 10 minutes adding enough flour to make a stiff dough. Let rise until double. Punch down and roll into a rectangle. Cut 18 pieces. Roll each into 7 inch rope and twist ends together to form ring. Let rise 10 minutes. Drop rings 10 at a time into kettle of simmering water (about 3 quarts) Turn once. Remove rings with slotted spoon and place on greased baking tray. Bake at 400 degrees until golden brown (about 20 min). make 16 bagels.

For variety add: minced green onions, raisins, grated apples, ect.

We had never made bagels before and this was our first attempt. Hummm, lets just say I wish I would have done a little more research before making them. First off, the dough ended up being REALLY thick. Second, after I made them into the bagel shape they deformed once I put them in the water. Third, I didn't know how long to let them boil. But hey, even if they looked like baked snails, at least they tasted good!

We also added cinnamon and sugar to half of the dough to make cinnamon raisin bagels.

I am going to conquer the bagel making if it's the last thing I do. So when I find a better bagel recipe, I will take this one out and add the better one.

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin