Thursday, October 8, 2009

Chicken Club Stuffed Onion Bread

I found this recipe from my friend Maaret's cooking blog. Thanks Maaret!




BREAD:
1/2 cup chopped onion
1 TBS olive oil
2 1/2 tsp active dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
1/2 cup warm milk
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 TBS sugar
1 tsp salt
2 eggs (you'll save 1 egg to be used as a wash at the end)
3 1/2 - 4 cups flour

In a skillet, saute onion until it starts to caramelize, set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine water, milk, sugar & yeast. Let rest for 5-10 minutes until it puffs up. Add 1 egg, salt, butter, oil, & 1 cup flour. Beat until smooth. Gradually add remaining flour to form a soft dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour. Punch down dough, roll out into a rectangle. Put filling in the center and slice the dough on either side into strips- leaving the slices attached to the center. Pull dough slices over the top, alternating sides to create a braided look.
(I formed a ring, by joining the bread ends).Beat remaining egg and brush over the top. Sprinkle with slivered almonds, poppyseeds, sesame seeds, or leave plain. Bake at 375 for 15-20 minutes, until golden brown.

CHICKEN CLUB FILLING:
3 cups cooked, cubed chicken
5 slices chopped, cooked crispy bacon
1/2 cup cubed ham
1 1/2 cups shredded swiss cheese
1/2 cup mayo
1 1/2 tsp dijon mustard
2 TBS chopped fresh parsley
2 tsp chopped garlic
2 plum tomatoes, chopped

Gently mix until combined.

The minute I saw this on Maarets blog I knew I had to try it. It will not disappoint! Mike and I really enjoyed this recipe. I love that the bread is homemade, I think it makes such a big difference. Oh..and I made mine into a ring instead of what Maaret did. Not only fantastic tasting, It's purty too!

No comments:

Blog Widget by LinkWithin